Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Real Friends

"Be slow to fall into friendship; but when thou art in, continue firm and constant."-- Socrates

Yes. I went to friendship.com to find a quote. And, yes. I am feeling a little sappy at the moment, but I wanted to make a declaration of how much I appreciate the friendship we have come to share.

I went to lunch today with people in my law school class. I have hung out with these same people before and had a decent time, but this time, things were different. I realized today that they are all really dependent on these "new" friendships they are making and are, therefore, forced to fake it even though they may not really like or have much in common with these people. Talk about awkward conversations. I was thankful as I sat and listened to their conversations that showed me how superficial and insincere many of their relationships with each other are.

I was glad I didn't have to depend on relationships like that right now in this stressful time of life. I was thankful that I have such real friends in my life who encourage me, inspire me, and challenge me constantly. I was thankful that our friendship is well-established and doesn't require a lot of upkeep. I was thankful for people who share ideals and understand me. I often have wondered if other people have friends who are as true and good as the ones I've been lucky enough to find. I don't think they are. And although that makes me sad, it also makes me very satisfied.

Somehow, at the same time, it gives me confidence to move forward in the day to day struggle of life. To be able to place myself in a larger story--I guess this goes back to "@'s" Joseph Campbell quote--to find a meaning of life in the experience of living, is soul-sustaining.

1 comment:

sara said...

<3. amen and amen.