Sunday, November 11, 2007

30 Rock...

So in the last couple days i have watched about 15 or so episodes of 30 Rock on DVD. It's pretty amazing. i suggest it. It's been a slightly refreshing alternative to my usual sitting on my ass show, which is, of course, Seinfeld. I, really, really, enjoy writing sentences, no matter how long or short, using far too many commas, although one could argue that i tend to, on occasion, overuse this beautiful, and underrated, punctuation mark.
Wow. Sorry. I think im funny sometimes. And yes, i could have put a period in there somewhere.
I didn't go to college, thats my excuse for most things in life. Not so much in my every day life, but in conversations that get out of my control. When i'm talking to people who i know are smarter than me, i tend to throw that tasty little nugget of information out there, leaving me with the upperhand (at least in my skewed mind) for two reasons. 1) To some people, they think "wow, he had some decent ideas on life, and he has dropped the name of some decent books that he claims to have read. He is very intelligent for a non college lad." I like this person, its good for the ego. and 2) the more sympathetic approach "Ah, so this is why he mispronounced that word a second ago. I completely understand why he still tends bar on the weekends." This person, not so much good for the ego, but you have to love them anyway. I can usually tell what kind of person im talking to within about 12 seconds of my lack of higher education announcement.

After going back and reading what i just wrote, it seems that i have portrayed myself with fairly low self esteem. As most of the people who will ever read this know, that is not the case. I did want to toss out the disclaimer that i am not fishing for compliments!!!

And for some reason, the phrase "the fucking cans have to stop" just popped in my mind. The mind is a funny thing, always firing off random memories at random times. I like to think of mine as a big rolodex. Two rolodexes really, lets call them a rolodi. Thats plural for rolodex. Now that thats out of the way, i will continue.
One rolodex has random lines from great songs cycling through at full speed. Every so often, and depending on time and place, the rolodex will stop, and a line will be sitting there, ready for either singing or whistling. (for more on whistling, including what not to whistle and when not to whistle such things, read Andrew's post from the other day. Kill Whitey)
My song rolodex has been stopped for sometime on the line
"all the perfect drugs and superhero's wouldn't be enough to bring me up to zero."
Indeed Amiee Mann, indeed.

The other Rolodex is the memory one, who has a bit of an untimely manner to it, stopping at times it shouldnt, and remembering things that are best left unremembered while in certain settings.
For instance.
Colin's emergency while Amanda and i are having a discussion about jobs and money type things.
Perhaps my Rolodi are squirrly and like to play tricks, resulting in such inopportune circumstances.
Thats why i have to try to slow them with a deadly combo i like to call Rock and Roll drumming, Seinfeld, and Jameson.

2 comments:

lloyd said...

phil got me hooked on 30 rock. and being irish got me hooked on jameson.

sara said...

I don't even know what 30 rock is. :/