Saturday, November 10, 2007

Making the "Right" choice

So...okay, I should be studying instead of taking the time to write this, but I want to know what people think.

As many of you know, I claim to live only in the real world. I'm usually difficult to reach by cell phone because I always forget to carry it with me. I rarely check my e-mail or facebook because I would much rather get together with friends and enjoy each moment of life.

Recently, a lot of that has changed because I started law school.

It's going to be a beautiful day out today, as it was yesterday. I love being outside...I love the crisp fall air, the shining sun, the leaves...but instead of getting to enjoy the things I love about this time of year, I'm going to be holed up in a library or in an office or somewhere at least within a power cord distance from electricity because I need to be studying every waking minute between now and my exams. My laptop has become an extension of my brain.

The more I think about it...the more rebellious I get. I mean, it's not just a "push through and you'll be done with it soon" type of thing. If I'm seriously going to pursue this career, this is what I'll be doing for the REST OF MY LIFE.

Goodbye life in the real world...hello internets. Westlaw and LexisNexis have become my new best friends because they tell me everything I could possibly need to know and because I have access to them, others will have an unreasonable expectation that I will know things that I have no clue about, nor any reason to really care about.

The fact that we are sharing a blog is even playing into my existential crisis right now. Why are we, a group of real-life friends who see each other fairly often, drawn to connect with each other through the web? Understandably, writing is distinguished in value from speaking and face to face interaction, but I'd much rather have a beer and hang out.

Anyway, all of that to say, I'm still not totally sure this is the direction I want my life to take. Law school, living in cyber-world, further disconnecting myself from nautre and the real world. Can you guys seriously see me being an attorney? Maybe there's something more important for me to accomplish.

I had intended to come back to this and add more later...but I'm just going to put it out there as is. Sans improvements as my campaign manager would say.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

B said...

campaign manager... indeed.
Seems like a pretty expensive and time/life consuming doubt that you are having my friend.
The attorney thing seems to fit you, coming from the outside perspective, but its all you my friend.

if you dont go to law school, you cant run for office, and therefore ruining my plans of being the person who sorts through your "f" bombs and makes a nice statement to the press.
Dont take that away from me.

sara said...

you could mother the earth.