Thursday, November 8, 2007

how about an embarrassing moment to get the ball rolling?

I went into the Blue Parkway Sun Fresh this morning on my way to work. I've gone to this particular grocery store several times before--because it is on my way to work, and they have great prices, especially for a Sun Fresh--and so I have become accustomed to being practically the only white guy in the place.

Now, I am a Walking Whistler by nature. If I have a song in my head, or I recognize the song playing in the store, I am prone to whistle along. This morning, a familiar tune came on over the Sun Fresh stereo, a fun 70's disco song I have danced to many times... and so, I began to whistle along.

It wasn't until I had whistled my way to the chorus that I realized that I was happily whistling along to "Play That Funky Music White Boy."

Whatever the mouth- and throat-muscles are that allow me to whistle, they suddenly clenched and cramped. My face turned the color of the raspberry vinaigrette I was carrying, and I immediately made a bee-line for the register and out the door.

I hope to God no one noticed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh this is beautiful--the post and also the collaborative blog. I'm lovin' it already.

I'd hate to see what would happen if Kristen was with you and "Dancing Queen" came on. Take that back--I'd love it!