Friday, February 8, 2008

Muddy's

I never thought I would become a person who enjoyed spending time in a coffee shop just because. Then, my car broke down and I had to walk to school and got there just in time to miss my first class, so I decided to have a "Classic" and check my e-mail before heading back to the library. As people from my law school class filed through for their morning caffeine, each stopped to chat for a second before heading back to the old grind. I enjoyed the idea of setting up shop so to speak in the shop. That was Monday.

Then, today, I came back for another classic. Some of the same people are here--the dorky math teacher, who last time I was here was one a date--of sorts--with this woman who had an annoying laugh, but an enormous chest. Today, he's looking around, at the window, as if he's expecting someone. I wonder if he's waiting for her...or for someone else. He seems nervous.

Then there's Oliver, the owner/entrepreneur who is an avid urban cyclist. I overheard him passionately discussing the city's excuse for not painting bike trails (they didn't put it in their budget) with a man who looked like he was important. I like him though I barely know him. He exudes confidence and knows what he wants.

There's always the emo kids...chain smoking and drinking the coffee black--they must not realize how bad it is--but nevertheless they come back. One time I was here with Andrew and we were sitting next to some of them and one ripped this gigantic fart. I (being the mature law student that I am) am laughing out loud about it so hard that tears are coming to my eyes as I write this. Nonetheless, they are a constant here...supporting Oliver's business and keeping us all conscious of our younger, more free-spirited years.

I have become an observer of folks. Not just in my two days at the coffee shop...but this year in general. I am realizing more and more that life is a game. I don't know if it was my upbringing that kept me from realizing it or just my general "anti-establishment" attitude, but I'm glad I'm coming into a different era. Less judgmental--more perceptive. Maybe it was Nietzsche. Maybe it was Fuckabees? Maybe it just took some time to understand the blanket. It's amazing how empowering it is when you realize the truth behind it.

I feel honored to have this place where I can step back, observe silently, and sort through deeper truths about humanity. I like being in a place where peoples' lives intersect.

3 comments:

sara said...

:)

Anonymous said...

how bout observing mccoy? Now thats a weird bird.

Andrew said...

muddy's classic... mmmm....